Monday, November 7, 2011

An Open Letter to Benevolent Association President Ed Mullins

(Originally posted to Facebook October 28, 2011)

Mr. Mullins,

In a recent interview with the New York Post, you stated the following:

“In light of the growing violence attendant to the 'Occupy' movements across the country, particularly as evidenced by the recent events in Oakland, I am compelled to place these so-called 'occupiers' on notice that physical assaults on police officers will not be tolerated."

The growing violence attendant to the Occupy movements, if I could just point this out, started with the law enforcement officers and not with the protesters.  I have watched video after video and, even from conservative and anti-OWS sites, have not yet found one that shows protesters starting the violence.

I'm sure we can both admit that Oakland was a travesty, an example of a chain of poor decisions and even worse judgments.  I'm sure we can both agree, from watching the multitude of video footage, that Scott Olsen did nothing by standing there and, certainly, nothing while lying prone on the ground, to deserve a crowd-controlling explosive device to be thrown almost upon his body, not withstanding the rubber bullet or tear gas canister that dropped him in the first place.

I do not blame or fault the law enforcement officers for doing the job they were told to do, though I cannot say some of them did not step beyond the boundaries of common sense.

As such (and I hope you can understand), I am compelled to place all law enforcement personnel assigned to Occupy sites on notice that physical assaults and military-like raids against peaceful protesters will not be tolerated.  Local law does not, in fact, trump Federal law in cases where the Constitution applies.  Under no circumstances will you employ violent measures, no matter how less-than-lethal they may be, against those individuals and groups exercising their First Amendment rights.

There is no tolerance for police escalation that forces people to defend themselves.  Scott Olsen's experience has shown us that once the police have escalated, they will continue to escalate the violence of the situation, regardless as to whether or not the protesters themselves have even begun to relinquish their hold on peace.

"I am deeply concerned that protesters will be emboldened by the recent rash of violent acts against police officers in other cities. New York’s police officers are working around the clock as the already overburdened economy in New York is being drained by 'occupiers' who intentionally and maliciously instigate needless and violent confrontations with the police."

I, too, am deeply concerned.  I am concerned that the law enforcement in Nashville, New York and San Francisco will escalate their levels of interaction with the protesters based on the events in Oakland.  I am concerned that the level of police interaction, including the frivolous use of crowd-dispersing technologies, will increase the burden on the economies of all the localities involved.  I am concerned that the law enforcement officials will cross the line without proper consideration and instigate needless and violent confrontations in order to force a fight.

Justifying police aggression by saying, "Well, the protesters fought back" will not be tolerated as an excuse.

Do not misjudge my concerns.  I believe in our law enforcement personnel.  As a military veteran, I respect anyone who volunteers for a service that places their lives on the line.  I do not believe they can be held accountable for the actions they take while under orders.

I will, however, hold their leadership accountable.  I will hold local government and elected officials accountable.

This is my notice to you and the other leadership that your obfuscations of the truth will not be tolerated.

Sincerely,

The Rage Against the Misuse of Police Forces

No comments:

Post a Comment